Saturday, December 1, 2012

Not All Salts Are Created Equal


Having become a published children’s author has opened up many opportunities for me like being asked to speak at a writers group this past summer. While there, I met a lovely woman and we spoke of many things including the non literary subject of salt. I don’t remember exactly how we got on that particular subject, but we did and she began to share with me that she had attended a salt seminar.

I don’t know about you, but up to that point in my life I was never aware that there was such a seminar to be attended. Be that as it may, I listened intently to what she had to say because my family had recently gone on a reduced sodium diet to help my husband lower his blood pressure naturally. I was amazed to hear that not all salt is created equal. That’s right my friends there are two kinds of salt, one that is good for you and one that is not.

My first thought was that the two kinds of salt were table salt and sea salt; and if you also thought that, you will be surprised to know that is incorrect. The two categories that salt falls into are processed salt and natural salt. Like sugar and flour, processed salt has been bleached and altered by man. Unfortunately, like most processed foods, processed salt is not healthy. Natural salt on the other hand is salt the way God intended salt to be ~ full of nutrients and minerals.


A logical question would then be: how does the average consumer 
tell if salt is processed or natural? It’s fairly simple; all salt that is white has been processed while natural salt will appear slightly colored in a range from pale pink to light grey.  This means that the currently promoted "sea salt" is not necessarily the healthy choice it is made out to be. To learn more about natural salt and it’s benefits I recommend that you drop by http://www.realsalt.com. Real Salt is a brand of all natural salt mined right here in the United States; so it is not only healthy for you, but healthy for the economy as well.

Aileen Stewart is the award winning author of Fern Valley - A Collection of Short Stories , a blogger, and a public speaker who is working towards achieving a healthier lifestyle for her family and herself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment